Friday, July 19, 2013

Einstein's Insanity.

Albert Einstein once said "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results". Let me explain why I know this is not a good definition of insanity. All of us spend a lot of time doing the same thing over and over again not only hoping for a difference results but, wahla, getting it.



For an example I will tell this story of me changing the saw blade in my table saw. See I have a 12x12 piece of tile that needed to be 2 6x12s. So yesterday on my way home from Forest City I stopped by Harbor Freight and bout a $22 10 inch diamond saw blade to do the job. When I got home I took off the old wood blade and put on the new blade, and tighten the retaining nut. Unbeknownst to me the spacer that goes on the motor's shaft before the blade had fallen into the saw dust under the table saw.





In my desire to get the blade up tight against the saw motor's shaft I over tighten the retaining nut driving the nut past the last thread on the shaft getting it well and truly stock on the shaft. In order to loosen it I had to stick a small needle nose vise grip in the very narrow space, less than a half of an inch, between the table top and the space to the saw blade, and clamp in onto the flat ring that is on the drive shaft for the blade;s spacer to rest against after the blade is tighten into place. Then I had to put a wrench on the retaining nut and put pressure on it to break the nut loose.


Over and over again I had to re-position the vice grips on the shaft as it popped loose while I was applied pressure to the wrench. For about two hours I repeated this procedure hoping for a different results, it was either that or give up on the table saw and not have the use of it or buy another one, and I sure did not want to do either of those options. So I repeated over and over again the same thing over and over again and expecting a different results, and just a bit ago I got it, the vice grip held long enough for the wrench to push the nut off the un-threaded part of the shaft allowing me to remove the blade, find the spacer after reasoning that was what have had to be missing, and put the blade on right, and cut the tile.



Now I just have to put a wood blade back on for when I heed to cut wood next. I am glad to have the diamond tipped blade but do not expecting to be using it very much. So tell me. was I insane for repeated over and over again the same thing over and over again and expecting a different results?




No comments:

Post a Comment